Ohh, just studyin’
So you’re an RN in an ED, and you’ve got a burn patient… What do you do?
- Assess for airway patency.
- Administer oxygen (as ordered) to keep tissues and organs in oxygen & functioning.
- Vitals to determine baseline; you’ll need to compare subsequent vitals with these after starting fluid resuscitation.
- Establish IV access.
- Fluid replacement (as ordered) to prevent hypovolemic shock.
- Elevate extremities if no fractures are evident to help prevent shock.
- Keep patient warm with sterile linens.
- Keep patient NPO because of wonky GI function r/t the burns.
- Insert a foley so you can monitor fluid resuscitation.
- Tetanus prophylaxis (if ordered).